All our practices are accredited by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Practice Standards scheme, so you can be sure that we work to high standards of care and protection for our clients, both human and animal. There are many categories of RCVS accreditation, depending on the type of practice and services offered.
Here at Dart Vale Veterinary Group, we hold RCVS Small Animal Veterinary Hospital accreditation at our Totnes hospital and RCVS Core Standards accreditation at all our other branches, which are the schemes most appropriate for us.
We have also achieved additional ‘OUTSTANDING’ RCVS awards at our Totnes hospital for Client Service and Inpatient Care, demonstrating to clients that we provide an exceptional level of care to both our patients and clients alike!
What are RCVS Core Standards?
For this accreditation, we have shown total compliance with all the legal and health & safety requirements necessary for our work. This means that, among other things, we have:
- Provide 24-hour emergency treatment for patients
- Appropriately trained staff (veterinary qualifications and insurance are checked)
- Maintained standards of cleanliness and hygiene
- Ensured clients are given estimates of costs of treatments and consent to procedures undertaken
What is RCVS General Practice accreditation?
These standards are specifically for practices like us because we treat small animal patients.
As well as complying with RCVS Core Standards around legal and health & safety requirements, emergency cover (and more), we strive for continuous improvement and:
- Have a system for monitoring the outcome of treatments
- Show ongoing commitment to education and training
- Keep premises clean and well maintained
- Have a policy for communicating with clients and looking at feedback
- Have access to laboratory facilities for diagnostic testing
What is RCVS Veterinary Hospital accreditation?
To receive this, we have met RCVS Core and General Practice standards, which cover legal and health & safety issues, among other requirements. On top of that, we also have:
- Nursing staff on the premises 24-hours
- Veterinary surgeons available 24-hours
- Demonstrated our commitment to maintain and improve clinical standard by monitoring performance and the outcome of treatments
- Specialist equipment, such as specific diagnostic equipment (ECG and ultrasound)
- Undergone meticulous inspection of our premises and facilities, with special emphasis on cleanliness and sterility